Monday, May 31, 2010

Oatmeal Coconut Cake



Well, all I can say about this cake is yum, yum, yum! I wish I could reach through your computer screen and hand you a piece, so you could taste it's carmelly goodness! This recipe is an old one and is all over the internet- there are a few variations, but it's unanimous that it is super-duper delicious. And it's a very quick cake to bake. Some versions call for cinnamon, which I did not use, some call for either walnuts or pecans. Some have you broil the topping after you put it on, I just boiled mine for a few minutes. Anyway, it's a wonderful carmel cake with a topping similar to a german choc. cake, except I even think the flavors compliment each other better with this cake rather than with a chocolate one, but you be the judge.
Here's the recipe:

Oatmeal Cake

1 cup quick oatmeal (not intstant)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Put oatmeal and boiling water in bowl, let stand 15 minutes. Add the rest of ingredients, except combine the dry ingredients before mixing them in. Beat well. Bake in a greased 9 x13 pan at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, till dark golden and center springs back when poked.

Topping:

6 tbsp melted margarine or butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Mix together well and spread on warm cake (still in pan) Broil until brown on top. Cake with topping can be frozen.

(Like I said, I made the topping and boiled it for a few minutes in the microwave. Then after it and the cake cooled for awhile I spread it on top. Oh, yumminess...)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe, Hailey! My mom used to make this cake on Sundays when we were kids. I LOVE the frosting. I could eat it by the spoonful!

    ReplyDelete