Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Home Made Lava Lamp"


Here's a recipe to keep your kids entertained on a rainy afternoon:
You will need:


A clear plastic bottle, (we used 1 liter, but you could use any clear drink bottle.)
Water
Oil
Food coloring
Alkaseltzer Tablets

Fill the bottle just over 1/2 full with vegetable oil, then fill the rest of the way with water, leaving an inch of room at the top. Add 10 drops food coloring. Place the bottle on a plate or pie tin to catch any drips. Now, add 1/4 an alkaseltzer tablet and watch the bubbles of water rise up through the oil. Add another piece of alkaseltzer after the bubbles have stopped.

This kept both kids quite entertained for the afternoon. Harriet wanted to make more of them but I didn't want to use up all my cooking oil. She went through about half a box of the tablets, then we put the lid on when we were done and she used the other half the next day. You could also add some glitter to the water to sparkle it up a bit!

12 comments:

  1. Seriously that is one of the coolest things! Thanks for the great idea Hailey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! adding to our to do list for our Valentine's unit next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey..really interesting idea but I have a question...beside the alkaseltzer tablets, are there any cheaper alternatives? I don't think my country has them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get an answer to your question about the alkaseltzer?

      Delete
    2. Try denture cleaning tablets. They should work.

      Delete
  4. I love this! My 10-year-old will be into this, too! Great cure for boredom and a great money-saver! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought I'd let you know I included a link to your lava lamp bottles on my personal blog. Such a cute idea! Thanks for the post!

    Amy Senter

    aspoolofthread.etsy.com

    http://www.amyroachsenter.blogspot.com/2013/05/105-things-to-do-this-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU! I am compiling a "Cool Stuff" flyer for our parents at our Food Pantry & Clothing Ministry--many of our clients don't have internet and struggle to keep their kids engaged throughout the summer. This is a great activity (Dollar Store selzer!)...MANY THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, I will try this when I get home. Thanks.

    You can see an update here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you pot the top on and keep them, or do you have to throw them out?

    ReplyDelete