Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Tractor Cake


My little Aaron had his first birthday party this week. I took Hailey's dump truck idea and modified it quite a bit. I wish I had taken step by step pictures like Hailey but I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants on this one, so here's the general idea.

1- I baked a medium sized bread pan and 2 mini bread pans. Cut the larger loaf in half and stack to make the cab and cut about 3 quarters of one mini loaf to make the front. The other loaf becomes the trailer and the 1/4 left got cut in two for hay bales. As with Hailey's, I also used styrofoam blocks underneath.

2- I used mento's for head lights, cherry air heads for wheel wells on back wheels, do-nuts from the bakery for the back wheels and hostess ones for the front, a gum drop for the caution triangle, black red vines licorice with dowels in them for the axels, trailer neck and exhaust, 2 graham crackers for the roof, cake squares frosted and rolled in yellow coconut for the hay bails, and oreo for the dirt.

Now, understand that my husband is going to school to be a tractor mechanic and so my cake had to be mechanically and structurally correct (down to the color) and would have been even more so if I hadn't have told him to get out of my kitchen before I went crazy! So, you could probably do away with a few details if it would make things easier.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for edible vehicles! It's just as cute as I remember it. Good thing you had an expert on hand for consultation on tractor construction.

    ReplyDelete