Monday, June 22, 2009

Key Lime Pie

A Father's Day Treat!This was pretty easy to make, as far as pies go, and soooooo tasty! The only real work is juicing 5 limes, but it's worth it. Do the crust yourself, it's really much better than the store-bought crumb crusts and doesn't take long. Since I don't happen to live in Florida, I didn't have access to fresh key limes and I just used regular limes I got from Costco. It seemed to turn out great so I don't really know what the difference would be.
I do know this will be a great summertime treat, tastes wonderful after being chilled in the fridge.

For the crust:
Pre-heat oven to 350ยบ
Crush 1 1/4 cups Graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4 in. by 4 3/4 in.) crackers (a food processor is good for this.
2 TBs. Sugar
5 TBs. melted  butter

Combine well in a bowl, or altogether in your food processor, press into a pie pan and bake for 10 min. Remove from oven and cool.

For filling:
5 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
5 limes, juiced (about 3/4 c. juice)
zest from 2 of the limes
Beat eggs and condensed milk in mixer till well combined. Add zest and juice, mix. It will thicken slightly.
Pour into crust, bake 15-20 min, till firm. Cool completely, then chill well.
Serve with whipped cream.

*hint: to make your limes easier to juice, roll them under your foot while stepping on them lightly, this breaks up the fruit inside and makes them softer to juice.

2 comments:

  1. Lime is one of my favorite flavors. I'm so excited to try this! Nate won't know what hit him when he gets home!

    ReplyDelete