Saturday, June 13, 2009

General Tso's Tofu

My husband doesn't generally like tofu, but we all enjoyed this recipe. The original recipe didn't end up with much sauce, so I changed it so there would be more to soak up the rice (changes are seen here).

General Tso's Tofu

30 min | 25 min prep

SERVES 4

  • 1 (16 ounce) box firm tofu
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch (I didn't use that much)
  • vegetable oil (for frying)
  • 6 chopped green onions (I used Vandalia onions)
  • 2 tablespoon minced ginger (2 tsp powder)
  • 2 tablespoon minced garlic (I used about 1 Tbsp)
  • 1 1/3 cup vegetable stock (I used water plus some chicken bouillon)
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • red pepper flakes (I left out)
  • 1 tablespoon sherry wine (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • steamed broccoli
  1. Drain, dry and cut tofu into one inch chunks-You can freeze the tofu the night before to get a more"chicken-like" texture, if desired.
  2. Mix egg with 3 Tbs of water.
  3. Dip tofu in mixture.
  4. Sprinkle cornstarch over tofu to completely cover.
  5. Heat oil in pan and fry tofu pieces until golden brown and set aside.
  6. Drain oil.
  7. Heat 3 Tbs vegetable oil in pan on medium heat and add onions, ginger and garlic, cook for about two minutes (be careful not to burn garlic).
  8. Add vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes and vinegar.
  9. Mix 4 Tbs of water and 2 Tbs cornstarch and pour into mixture, stirring well.
  10. Add fried tofu and coat evenly.
  11. Serve immediately with steamed broccoli over your choice of rice.

1 comment:

  1. Liz,
    I like that you always find interesting recipes to try- I need to be more apt to try something new and not be afraid to branch out a little, like buying tofu!

    ReplyDelete