Sunday, March 8, 2009

South of the Border Pizza


I will admit (and the picture proves it) that I really don't know how to make nice edges on my pizzas (and I'm too lazy to shred the lettuce). They taste great, though! This recipe makes two pizzas, but I cut it in half for our small family.

South-of-the-Border Pizza

1 tablespoon cornmeal

1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed

1/2 pound lean ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

1 sweet yellow pepper, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans

1 cup salsa

1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies

1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese

2 medium tomatoes, chopped

2 cups shredded lettuce

Coat two 12-in. pizza pans with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide the bread dough in half; roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to prepared pans. Build up edges slightly; prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion, yellow pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in refried beans, salsa, chilies and chili powder; heat through. Spread over the crusts; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 6-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with tomatoes and lettuce; serve immediately. Yield: 2 pizzas (6 slices each).

3 comments:

  1. hmm, that looks good. Nice photo Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night and it was YUMMY! My crust was pretty thick and it reminded me of a navajo taco. We had leftovers for lunch and it was even better the second day! I will make again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete