Saturday, January 31, 2009

Calling for Soup Recipes

Ok everybody, I thought it would be nice this time of year to put together a collection of soup recipes. I love to throw  a bunch of stuff in the pot in the afternoon and let it simmer away and be ready for dinner time. Plus, we've already got a great crusty bread to go along with it. So what is your favorite soup recipe? I'll start with one of my own creations:


Minestrone Soup with Sausage

1 qt. tomatoes with juice
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
celery- optional
2 c. chicken stock
1 Tbs. Oregano
a little garlic/ onion powder
1 15 oz. can pinto or white beans
1 15 oz. can black beans
rinse and drain beans well, you can add a can of green beans if you like.

Add all ingredients to crock pot, cook several hours (about 4-5) on high till veggies are tender.
Pan fry 1 smallish pkg. Italian sausage, remove casings if they are links. Add sausage to crock pot, add 1 cup cooked small pasta shells. cook on low and hour or so. Serve with bread. 

Sorry I don't have a photo for this one, I will try to post one soon. Also, feel free to add your own suggestions if you make any improvements. I look forward to some hearty, hot soup recipes!



2 comments:

  1. I made this last night (along with the peasant bread). It was wonderful! I used mild sausage. Owen ate a whole bowl full! It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if a two year old will eat a whole bowl full, I consider that a compliment!

    ReplyDelete